Job Opportunity at Urban Company for Legal Counsel
We are currently looking to hire a strong candidate to join our Legal team. Our team is very lean and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. You will work with various internal teams (across geographies) to co-create solutions with them to strengthen Urban Company and mitigate all legal risk. You will also be required to strengthen and manage the company’s compliance processes. Your work will push you to think outside the box, apply an interdisciplinary approach, have principled thinking, manage work in a fast growing and chaotic environment, and have a high quality bar.
About Urban Company:
Home services is a large, unorganized industry in India. Indian consumers spend ~ USD 30 Billion annually on home services. They largely rely on word of mouth and friends-family recommendations for search and discovery. There is no large, well run, billion-dollar Company in this category today. The industry lacks scale benefits – standardization, transparency and trust.
In the absence of organized players, the current market architecture is froth with middle-men and aggregators, who control market access and keep a lion’s share of the margins. As a result, experiences are broken for both customers and end service professionals. The industry could easily be 1.5-2x larger than it is today, if frictions in transaction journeys are removed – and experiences made more meaningful and memorable.
What are you expected to do?
- Compliance and Corporate Governance – Manage and own compliances (ongoing business and Board level), policy drafting and implementation, resolution of issues from internal or external stakeholders including regulators
- Dispute and litigation management – strategize and co-ordinate with the external counsel on any disputes (including pre-litigation and ADR), undertake organization wide legal projects and manage it towards implementation and track ongoing adherence
- Advisory & Contracting – Provide legal support on a range of corporate and commercial questions for specific verticals and categories, such as marketing, telecommunications and trust & safety among others
- Cross functional risks – Assess and advise across practice areas such as FDI, competition, consumer and operational risks with respect the operation and expansion of the home and beauty categories in India and overseas
- K&I – create and manage wide projects, knowledge repository and compliances of the company
What are we looking for?
- Qualified lawyer with 5-7 years of post-qualification experience
- Prior experience with growth phase in-house teams and law firms
- Prior experience with identifying and managing compliances from inception to closure
- Relevant experience in: General corporate and commercial laws, Mergers and acquisitions, Investments, Dispute resolution, Compliance, Employment and labour laws (preferred, but not mandatory)
- Prior experience with international law firms would be an added bonus
- Prior experience with a listed company would be an added bonus
- Ability to run mandates autonomously and with minimum supervision
- Ability to strategise and assess potential risk
- Ability to coordinate with different business teams, senior management, and external counsel on multiple mandates
- Adaptive to changing needs of business and that of the legal landscape
- Be a great team player – your legal advice and solutions will be based on a deep understanding of your internal client’s needs
- Always be aware of the essential corporate function that the legal team undertakes
- Be decisive – a fast growing business needs people who can take decisions quickly
- Excellent communication and drafting skills
- Attention to detail