Changes in GST Rates on Services w.e.f October 1, 2021
The CBIC vide Notification No. 06/2021 Central Tax (Rate) dated September 30, 2021 has further amended Notification No. 11/2017-Central Tax (Rate) dated June 28, 2017 (“Services rate notification”), in order to adhere to the recommendations of 45th GST Council meeting held on September 17, 2021 as under:
1. Wherever Section 12AA of Income Tax Act, 1961 is mentioned, now Section 12AB is also inserted.
2. Temporary or permanent transfer or permitting the use or enjoyment of Intellectual Property right (“IP right”), shall now be charged at rationalised rate of 18%. Earlier, IP right w.r.t. Information Technology software were charged at 18% and IP right w.r.t. other goods were chargeable at 12%.
3. Services by way of job work in relation to manufacture of alcoholic liquor for human consumption shall be taxable at 18%. Earlier, it was covered under Entry 26, item no. (i)(f), as food and food products and GST rate was 5%.
4. Services by way of printing of all goods falling under Chapter 48 or 49 [including newspapers, books (including Braille books), journals and periodicals], shall now be charged at rationalised rate of 18% instead of 12%.
5. Against serial number 34, for items (iii) and (iiia) and the entries relating thereto in columns (3), (4) and (5), following items and entries shall be substituted, namely:-
|Description of Service||Rate (per cent.)||Condition|
|“(iii) Services by way of admission to;
(a) theme parks, water parks and any other place having joy rides, merry- go rounds, go carting, or
other than any place covered by (iiia) below
|(iiia) Services by way of admission to (a) casinos or race clubs or any place having casinos or race clubs or (b) sporting events like Indian Premier League||14||–|
6. In the “Annexure: Scheme of Classification of Services”, after serial number 118 and the entries relating thereto, the following shall be inserted, namely:-
|S. No.||Chapter, Section, Heading or Group||Service Code
|118a||Group 99654||Multimodal Transport of goods from a place in India to another place in India|
|118b||996541||Multimodal Transport of goods from a place in India to another place in India|
Note: This Notification is effective from October 01, 2021.
Similar notification has been passed under Integrated Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (“IGST Act”) and Union Territory Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017 (“UTGST Act”) and all States will issue relevant Notification to give effect to GST Rates changes on Services on similar line.
CGST (Rate) Notification: Link
IGST (Rate) Notification: Link
UTGST (Rate) Notification: Link
(Author can be reached at [email protected])
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed are strictly of the author and A2Z Taxcorp LLP. The contents of this article are solely for informational purpose and for the reader’s personal non-commercial use. It does not constitute professional advice or recommendation of firm. Neither the author nor firm and its affiliates accepts any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any information in this article nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Further, no portion of our article or newsletter should be used for any purpose(s) unless authorized in writing and we reserve a legal right for any infringement on usage of our article or newsletter without prior permission.