New Income Tax Portal to provide free ITR Preparation Software
Some of the Features of the new Income Tax Portal are:
- New taxpayer-friendly portal integrated with immediate processing of Income Tax Returns (ITRs) to issue quick Income tax refunds to taxpayers;
- All interactions and uploads or pending actions will be displayed on a single dashboard for follow-up action by the taxpayer;
- Free of cost Income Tax Return [ITR] preparation software available with interactive questions to help taxpayers for ITRs 1, 4 (online and offline) and ITR 2 (offline) to begin with; Facility for preparation of ITRs 3, 5, 6, 7 will be made available shortly;
- Taxpayers will be able to proactively update their profile to provide certain details of income including salary, house property, business/profession which will be used in pre-filling their ITR. Detailed enablement of pre-filling with salary income, interest, dividend, and capital gains will be available after TDS and SFT statements are uploaded (due date is June 30th, 2021);
- New call center for taxpayer assistance for prompt response to taxpayer queries. Detailed FAQs, User Manuals, Videos, and chatbot/live agent also provided;
- Functionalities for filing Income Tax Form, Add tax professionals, Submit responses to Notices in Faceless Scrutiny or Appeals would be available.
It is clarified that the new tax payment system will be launched on June 18th, 2021 after the advance tax installment date to avoid any taxpayer inconvenience. The mobile app will also be released subsequent to the initial launch of the portal, to enable taxpayers to get familiar with the various features. Familiarization with the new system may take some time, so, the Department requests the patience of all taxpayers/stakeholders for the initial period after the launch of the new portal and while other functionalities get released since this is a major transition. This is another initiative by the Central Board of Direct taxes [CBDT] towards providing ease of compliance to its taxpayers and other stakeholders.